The Medical Administrative Assistant/Electronic Health Records Program thoroughly prepares students for the administrative skills and electronic health records that medical administrative assistants need to know. This program integrates all of the front office topics including, electronic health records and skill competencies required for today’s industry standards. This program also covers material dealing with medical office, medical records, management skills, client service skills and responsibilities, client education and legal/ethical issues.
Content includes, but is not limited to:
- Knowledge of Health Insurance Claims
- Development of the Claim
- Insurance Company Processing of Claims
- Maintaining Insurance Claim Files
- Safeguarding Confidentiality
- Formating Requirements
- Submit a Medical Bill
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical History
- Examination procedures
- Medical Reports
- Terminology related to diseases
- Diagnostic Tests
- Treatment of body systems
- Radiology Terminology
- Pathology Terminology
- Autopsy Terminology
- Mental Health Terminology
- Discharge Summaries
- Identify different types of Medical Institutions and Medical Offices
- Personal/professional, Medical/Legal, and Bio-ethical Standards
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records
- Patient Flow regarding EHR/EMR (scheduling, patient registration, insurance verification, and patient referrals)
- Knowledge of HIPAA and the HIPAA Security Rule for use with EHR/EMR
- Execute EHR file maintenance procedures (purging, archiving, finalizing and security)
- Eight core functions of an EHR System
- Computer Provider Order Entry
Length of Program
The Medical Administrative Assistant/Electronic Health Records Program is a 247.5 contact hour program. Total time for the program is 9 weeks for day classes, or 16 weeks for evening classes. Day classes are available Monday-Friday 9:00am – 3:00pm. Evening classes are Monday-Thursday 6:00pm-10:00pm.
- $2200.00 Tuition
- $100.00 Registration Deposit
- $375.00 Books & Materials Fee
- $150.00 Computer Lab Fee
- $240.00 (2) Board Exams
- Total is $3065.00
Additional fees/supplies: Students will need general school supplies such as: pens, pencils, and highlighters. At completion of the program, students will take the two National certifications.
Prospective students are cautioned that this program is not a “Crip Course” and the students should be expected to study 5-10 hours weekly. This program covers all the information needed to successfully pass National Certification boards. This class will be an intensive program due to the short amount of time, wide range of skills, and information you will be learning. Students are required to attend all classes.
Registration must be completed in person. Students must pose high school transcripts or GED. Students must attend one of Academy of Allied Health Career Overview Orientations before the application process can be completed. Students must fill out Application for chosen program, complete assessment, and have a successful interview with a staff member. Before start of class all students must provide (2) written letters of reference (1 personal and 1 professional).
Medical Administrative Assistant/Electronic Health Records Program is authorized by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC). This authorization must be renewed each year and is based on an evaluation by minimum standards concerning the quality of education, ethical business practices, health and safety and fiscal responsibility.