The Medical Administrative Assistant/Electronic Health Records Course thoroughly prepares students for the administrative skills and electronic health records that medical administrative assistants need to know. This program integrates all of the front office topics including, electronic health records and skill competencies required for today’s industry standards. This program also covers material dealing with medical office, medical records, management skills, client service skills and responsibilities, client education and legal/ethical issues.
Objectives include, but are not limited to:
- Knowledge of Health Insurance Claims
- Developments of the Claim
- Insurance Company Processing of Claims
- Maintaining Insurance Claim Files
- Safeguarding Confidentiality
- Know Formatting Requirements
- Learn to Submit a Medical Bill
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical History
- Examination procedures
- Medical Reports
- Terminology related to diseases
- Diagnostic Tests
- Treatment of body systems
- Radiology Terminology
- Pathology Terminology
- Autopsy Terminology
- Mental Health Terminology
- Discharge Summaries
- Identify different types of Medical Institutions and Medical Offices
- Personal/professional, Medical/Legal, and Bio-ethical Standards
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records
- Patient Flow regarding EHR/EMR (scheduling, patient registration, insurance verification, and patient referrals)
- Knowledge of HIPAA and the HIPAA Security Rule for use with EHR/EMR
- Execute EHR file maintenance procedures (purging, archiving, finalizing and security)
- Eight core functions of an EHR System
- Computer Provider Order Entry
Length of Program
The Medical Administrative Assistant/Electronic Health Records Program is a 247.5 contact hour course. Total time for the course is 9 weeks. Day classes are available Monday-Friday 9:00am – 2:30pm.
- $2200.00 Tuition
- $100.00 Registration Deposit
- $375.00 Books & Materials Fee
- $75.00 Computer Lab Fee
- Total is $2750.00.
*AAHC will set up payment plans for these fees.
Additional fees/supplies: Students will need general school supplies such as: pens, pencils, and highlighters. At completion of the course, we highly advise students to take the two National Exams which is paid directly to NHA (National Healthcareer Association). Students will receive information on how to apply & pay for national testing at completion of academics. Their website is www.nhanow.com or 1-800-499-9092.
Students are STRONGLY encouraged to attend every session of class. Students must attend 80% of course; those missing 20% or more of classes will be automatically dismissed from class. A passing grade of 70% is REQUIRED before certificates of completion are issued. Students will be allowed 3 makeup Exams. Makeup Exams MUST be taken the first day of the student’s return to school or it will be a zero. After 3, they will be counted as zeros.
Registration must be completed in person. Students must be at least 18 years of age, possess high school transcripts or GED and must provide proof at Admission. Students must attend one of AAHCs Career Overview Orientations before the application process can be completed. Students must fill out Application for chosen course, pass admissions test, and have a successful interview with an AAHC staff member. Before start of class all students must provide (2) written letters of reference (1 personal and 1 professional).
Medical Administrative Assistant/Electronic Health Records Course is authorized by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC). This authorization must be renewed each year and is based on an evaluation by minimum standards concerning the quality of education, ethical business practices, health and safety and fiscal responsibility.